Thursday, July 17, 2008

Delays

Here I am, waiting on my friend Brandi to get in to Dallas from Amarillo. I haven't seen her in about a year and a half and I am so ready to get some hang out time in with one of my best friends! Her flight was delayed a little, so I have time to update you guys on some recent happenings in my life.

Let's start with my trip to Port Aransas/Corpus Christi. I went with my sister and a bunch of her friends, plus 2 babies. It was really a good time- so thank you to Kelly for letting my tag along!



This picture pretty much sums up the whole weekend. The 2 minute ferry delaying our beach time...


The strobe light jellyfish at the aquarium. That's not it's scientific name- just a lil name I gave him. Those neon light zoom around his entire body. No joke. It was so cool!


One of the only pictures of me from the weekend. Standing in front of the USS Lexington (it was HUGE!). It was very windy there...


Pelicans are neat birds. :)

Next: For those of you who don't yet know, I enrolled in graduate school last fall to get a Master's in School Counseling. I was enrolled in a co-hort program which is an intense and fast paced program that allows you to complete your degree in a year and a half. It is very hard to do! I knew this going into the program, but I found myself incredibly stressed and overwhelmed working full time (teaching a TAKS grade) and going to school full time. Since about January, I also had mixed feelings about being a school counselor. You see, I love my job as a teacher because I get to be around kids and provide them an education, but I am also "second mom" to these kids for 8 hours (sometimes 9 if in tutoring) of the day. In the counseling program I was learning that a counselor's role the majority of the time is filled with paperwork. Yes, I would be able to work with a certain set of students one on one from time to time. But, I wouldn't really be building the same kind of relationship with children the way I can as a teacher. The majority of my time would be acting as a third administrator/testing coordinator.

So after much thinking, crying, and prayer I came to the decision to drop out of graduate school. It was a really tough decision because I was halfway done when I quit, and I had become friends with the people in my co-hort. Everyone has always told me that I would want to get out of the classroom at some point, and that I needed a back-up plan for when that day comes. When I would hear people say this it made it an even harder decision! But then I started thinking. Maybe I will get tired of the classroom. But wouldn't I get tired of counseling? Don't we all get tired of our work at some point? Isn't that why we retire? The way I see it, I will probably get tired of working no matter what my job may be.

I guess one day I might decide to go back to graduate school, but that has been delayed. Or, maybe I am not meant to be a counselor. Maybe I am meant to be a teacher. So, at least for now, that's what I'll be.

I will leave you with a verse that I often think of when I consider whether I made a good decision.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." -Proverbs 19:21

You see I had plans, but I don't think they were God's plans. He makes sure that when we stray to chase our own rabbits, He always pulls us back to the beaten path.


1 comment:

Kellybird said...

you are so wise.

and you are welcome to go to the beach with me whenever you want.

nice post.