Thursday, March 24, 2011

*Overwhelm Me*

Overwhelm Me - Michael Bleecker


Take not thy presence from me

For I desire to know you more

For you are worthy of all

You’re worthy of all I am and more


I need to set my mind on things above

On the holiness and glory of my God

In the heavens and in my heart

Who created a mountain

And who set a spark that grew into a flame

That burns deeply for you

Overwhelm me, take me from this place and

Put me in the place where You are

Overwhelm me, shake the ground I stand on

I want to be dependent on you…


_____________________________________________________


I don't actually know if this song was written by Michael Bleeker or if it has another history. But lately I have been listening to this song a lot. I especially love the first line that says "Take not thy presence from me". And when it says "take me from this place, and put me in the place where you are". That line reflects my recent prayer...for the Lord to take me out of my selfish tendencies and remind me that I am wholly HIS. I am not my own. My life is His and without Him I am nothing. I am praying that I would constantly be reminded of this. However, I will admit that the last line kind of scares me a bit. "Shake the ground I stand on, I want to be dependent on you". It's hard to ask the Lord to shake the ground I'm on. I kind of like where I'm at...I don't like change much and I like being comfortable. But I do know that if life were always a cake walk and never had challenges, we would forget our need for Him and for the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. The "earthquakes" of life turn us back to Him. So even though those harder times of life are tough and painful, I am thankful in the end that they turn my focus back on to Him and remind me that I NEED Him. I cannot do life on my own.


No comments: